To provide a safe and nurturing environment for children.
In 1895, Judge Joseph and Mary Cunningham deeded their home and 15 acres to the Women of the Methodist Episcopal Church, now the United Methodist Women. Their country home was given with the understanding that it would provide a safe and nurturing environment for children in need. At the time Judge Cunningham wrote in his personal journal: “May God’s blessing go with this gift, and may it be the means of doing much good.”
In the beginning, and for many years to follow, Cunningham served as a safe and stable home for children who had lost their parents or whose parents could not care for them. But as needs of children changed with time, Cunningham broadened its mission to serve the needs of children with emotional, behavioral, and special educational needs.